It is no surprise that one of the most cost-effective elements of your marketing mix heading into 2021 is video.
Research shows that videos are the most popular, engaging, and memorable content element out there. They are an absolute must for storytelling and virtual fundraising. Some brands that have yet to dive into video are now realizing they finally need to pull the trigger in 2021. But why and why should you?
Video is extremely flexible and can be used and repurposed into many forms:
- Live broadcasts
- Customer testimonials
- Live fundraisers
- Product demonstration videos
People prefer video.
- Especially since COVID hit, video is the primary way we share experiences these days.
- 6 out of 10 people would rather watch online videos than television. (Google)
- Mobile video consumption rises by 100% every year. (Insivia)
- YouTube is the second most popular website after Google. (Alexa)
- 59% of executives say they would rather watch a video than read text. (Wordstream)
- 72% of consumers would rather learn about a product or service by way of video. (HubSpot)
Videos have more impact.
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
- 92% of users watching video on mobile will share it with others. (Wordstream)
- By 2022, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic — 15 times higher than it was in 2017. (Cisco)
- 81% of businesses use video as a marketing tool — up from 63% last year. (Hubspot)
Social sites prioritize video posts.
- A website is 53 times more likely to reach the front page of Google if it includes video. (Insivia)
- Nearly 50% of internet users look for videos related to a product or service before spending money. (Hubspot)
- 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands. (HubSpot)
- Including a video on your landing page can boost your conversion rate by up to 80%. (Unbounce)
- 52% of marketers say video is the type of content with the best ROI. (HubSpot)
- Adding video to your emails can increase click rates by 300%. (HubSpot)
- On average, people spend 2.6x more time on pages with video than without. (Wistia)
- 65% of executives have gone to the marketer’s site and 39% have called them on the phone after watching a marketing video. (Forbes)
- Videos improve traffic by 300% and help nurture leads. (MarketingSherpa)
- Video increases organic search traffic by 157%. (Conversion XL)
Best practices when starting out in video marketing.
- Video can be very powerful but only if used as one piece of a bigger content strategy. I have seen brands pay a lot of money for video production without giving much thought to the strategic use of those videos. Simply slapping one on a webpage or two or haphazardly posting via social is not going to generate any significant lifts in donations, members, etc.
- Keep in mind that media production companies will not always handle in-market deployment. So, if two separate people (or groups) manage content and video production, make sure they stay on the same page. For example:
- Coordinate a launch meeting withsomeone from marketing, content and video to get on the same page regarding the target audience, overarching story, specific messaging and timing.
- Include your content and marketing manager in the video review process to ensure brand alignment and standards are met. Only by working together can you ensure a consistent and sharable experience that stays true to your brand and overall storytelling efforts.
- Keep it short (under 2 minutes) to get the most engagement. (Wistia) However, there are instances when long-form videos are best. When telling a longer story that explains your brand’s message or diving deeper to explore a more nuanced narrative, use longer videos. Documentaries, interviews, how-tos, product demos, and educational videos are great examples of this format.
- Include captions on social since 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound. Interestingly enough, 60% of Instagram Stories are watched with the sound on. (Instagram)
- Make the most out of your video shoot by having a photographer join in for a few hours. You can create a shareable library of custom photography and behind-the-scenes footage.
- On behalf all online users, please do not use auto-play.
Bound for Growth can help you build your video marketing strategy and ensure that it aligns with your brand and integrates with your broader content strategy. Ready to talk shop? Schedule a free consultation today!